Saturday 21 May 2016
Fa Cup 2005

FA Cup 2005 - Winners Arsenal

\"2005The 2005 FA Cup final took place May 21st 2005 again at the Millennium Stadium which was becoming football fans favourite venue as for many people it was easier to get to than Wembley Stadium.  The final this year was between to Premiership giants, Manchester United and Arsenal both teams were looking for some silverware as Chelsea had beaten them both to be the Premier League champions for the 04/05 season.

Lead Up to the FA Cup Final 2005

The clubs had met before in an FA Cup final in 1979, with Arsenal winning 3-2.  The final was to be the two clubs fifth meeting in the 2004–05 season having played FA Community Shield at the start of the season where Arsenal won 3–2. Arsenal had lost both of the league fixtures between the two clubs, as well as the League Cup quarter-final tie.


Arsenal\'s 04/05 FA Cup campaign started in the third round with a 2–1 win against Stoke City, the fourth saw Arsenal beat Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0.  Still playing at home by the fifth round Arsenal entertained Sheffield United resulting in a 1-1 draw, the away replay at Sheffield against resulted in a draw this time 0-0, the game went to penalties with Arsenal coming out on top.  Another away trip to Bolton Wanderers resulted in a 0-1 scoreline taking Arsenal to their first trip to the Millennium Stadium where they beat Blackburn Rovers 3-0 in the semi final.

Arsene Wenger


Manchester United

Things got off to a shaky start for Manchester United when they drew 0-0 at home against lowly Exeter City, to the relief of the United faithful the away replay was a 0-2 win for United. A more impressive fourth round 3-0 win against Middlesbrough at home was followed by an away 0-2 win in the fifth against Everton. This sixth round saw United demolish an in form Southampton by 0-4. The semi final was held at the Millennium Stadium against Newcastle United with Man U winning 4-1.

Alex Ferguson


FA Cup Final 2005 Result

The match was an almost one sided affair with Manchester United being the more dominant team and having more goal scoring chances than Arsenal, however after 90 minutes the score was still 0-0 and went to extra time.  With neither side managing to break the deadlock the game went to penalties for the first time ever in the history of the FA Cup final.

It was a tense affair and the pressure affected the normally prolific Manchester United penalty taker Paul Scholes, who was the only player not to score from the spot resulting in Arsenal winning their first Trophy this season.

Arsenal 0 – 0 (a.e.t.) (5 – 4 pen.)
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Attendance: 71,876
Referee: Rob Styles (Hampshire)