Saturday 21 May 2016
Fa Cup 2008

FA Cup Final 2008 - Winners Portsmouth

The 2008 FA Cup Final took place on May 17th 2008 and for the second year running was at the new Wembley Stadium. The final this year was between the Premiership team Portsmouth and the Championship team Cardiff City.  It was watched by 89,874 fans.

The Lead Up to the FA Cup Final 2008

\"2008Portsmouth had finished in a very respectable 8th place in the Premiership so if they won the FA Cup they would secure a place in the first round of the UEFA Cup. Cardiff had finished mid table in the Coca Cola Championship if they were to win it would have been the first time since 1980 that a team from outside the top division had won the competition.


The third round started off by making history as Cardiff were playing the lowest ever ranked team to reach the third round; Chasetown FC who play in the Southern League Division One, Cardiff managed a 3-1 win, in the fourth Cardiff travelled to League One side Hereford United (who knocked out Coventry City FC in the 2006 Carling Cup) with Cardiff winning 2-1 at Ninian Park. The same scoreline put Cardiff through to the semi final following their sixth round win against Middlesbrough. Cardiff\'s first trip to Wembley provided a 1-0 win against Barnsley.

Dave Jones



Portsmouth started their run of 1-0 wins in the FA Cup 07/08 competition with a win against Ipswich in the third round. The fourth round featured their highest scoring game of the campaign with a 2-1 win against Plymouth. Round five was a 1-0 win away at Preston North End and round six was another 1-0 win away at Manchester United and then the semi final 1-0 win against West Bromwich Albion at Wembley was watched by 83,584 fans

Harry Redknapp


FA Cup Final 2008 Result

Cardiff started the match as the more dominant side against the Premiership team of Portsmouth, but both teams squandered opportunities early on; but in the 37th minute of the first half Nwankwo Kanu fired home from close range and produced the solitary goal of the final, giving Portsmouth their second ever FA Cup trophy.

Cardiff City 0 – 1 Portsmouth
Kanu 37\'
Wembley Stadium, London
Attendance: 89,874
Referee: Mike Dean (Cheshire)